Everyone needs a good breakfast sausage in their repertoire of game recipes, and I’ve always got a couple of pounds of this in my freezer.
After trying several and tinkering a bit, I’ve landed on a formula that fits my taste. I encourage you to play around with the ingredients to make it work for your family, too. This makes a medium spicy sausage, so adjust the levels of cayenne and red pepper to your preference.
The recipe works well with venison, feral hog, or a combination of the two, which is my preference. If your meat is lean, substitute some with pastured pork fatback.
4 lbs Fatty meat (20-25% fat)
8 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 TBSP Rubbed Sage
2 TBSP Brown Sugar
2 tsp Marjoram
2 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
½ tsp Cayenne
1. Cut the meat and fat into 1 inch cubes
2. Combine with seasonings and chill in the freezer until semi-frozen, about 20 minutes
3. Grind and portion for packaging
4. Freeze any that you don’t plan to use in 1-2 days
5. Slice or form into patties and cook in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Turn once to brown each side. Cook through, approximately 10-15 minutes total.