Culinary Hunting Package
For the 2016-2017 season, Feral will continue to offer our popular Culinary Hunts. Our standard package provides a unique culinary hunting and butchering experience in conjunction with the Bar W Ranch in Calvert, TX.
We’ve heard from many of you that feel hunting is one of the best ways to source local, sustainable meat but don’t have hunting opportunities readily available. This package provides Central Texans who may not have a place to hunt but want to process their own meat with the opportunity to do both.
The Bar W Ranch, an easy 1½ hours from Austin, is over 4,000 acres with abundant wildlife including deer and feral hogs. The ranch is low-fenced and, although it’s located in a “buck-only” area, they have secured permits to harvest does for the purpose of population management.
Our culinary hunt package offers a Saturday evening-Sunday morning hunt, including lodging and basic meals, at the Bar W Ranch immediately followed by a butchering session at Feral in Austin, as well as two additional butchering and processing sessions at Feral.
The Culinary Hunt Package includes:
- Saturday: All hunters arrive, settle into bunk house and site in rifles.
- Saturday evening: Hunters will be picked up in the morning for guided deer or pig hunting.
- Sunday morning: Additional morning hunt if needed.
- Sunday mid-day: Return to Austin for an afternoon butchering session at Feral (with instruction).
- Instruction will be available for field dressing, skinning, and quartering.
- Package includes the harvest of one doe or one pig per person.
- In the unlikely event that you are not able to harvest a deer or pig, another hunt may be scheduled for a nominal charge to cover accommodations.
Accommodations and basic meals are included; however, transportation is not. (The bunkhouse has a kitchen for those who prefer to cook for themselves, or we can provide nearby restaurant recommendations.)
On Sunday, hunters will be provided with a session of butchery and processing at the Feral workspace in Austin. The culinary hunt package is designed to give hunters the opportunity to not only butcher their own game but also the space and instruction to use as much of the animal as they’d like. The package includes up to 2 future kitchen sessions to complete the full processing of the animal. The processing schedule will be worked out with individuals or groups.
- Sunday: Full animal butchery including packaging of cuts, steaks, and trim
- Session 1: Meat grinding, sausage making, and/or stock preparation
- Session 2: Meat grinding, sausage making, and/or stock preparation
The package cost is $950 and is limited to hunters 21 years of age or older. Hunters must have a current Texas hunting license, Hunters education card, and a seasoned rifle of at least .243 caliber.
Various dates are available. When you are ready to book your culinary hunting excursion, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personalized Culinary Hunts
We are going mobile! This year, we are pleased to begin offering personalized culinary hunts. We can accompany groups or individuals to your own hunting property and provide personalized instruction and assistance through the process of field dressing, transport, butchering, and/or processing. We will bring everything necessary including a mobile gambrel, workstation, coolers, cutting boards and knives, grinder, and sausage making equipment.
Call or email to discuss the hunt that’s right for you. Pricing will vary based on options, location, and duration