I love pepper season in Texas; it’s the perfect time to make Italian Sausage with any trim left in the freezer from last season. Throw a dart and you’ll land on a recipe for Venison and/or Pork Italian Sausage, so I’m going to let you track down one you like. (I will say that if a recipe doesn’t include fennel or anise seed, I’m not interested.)
This dish is a go-to in our house when we need a quick meal. It’s easy to prepare and freezes well if you make large quantities, so there’s almost always some in the freezer. Serve over pasta with parmesan, on a sandwich, or on its own–it’s that good.
2-4 links of Italian sausage (Venison, Feral Hog, or Both)
1 yellow onion, sliced
6-7 Italian peppers (fewer bell)
6 cloves garlic (medium)
½ C white wine
Cracked red pepper
- Cook sausage (simmer covered for about 7 min). Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, then add peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook about 10 min.
- While cooking, slice the sausage.
- Add sliced sausage, wine, herbs, salt , and cracked red pepper to the pan.
- Simmer covered on low for about 10-15 minutes.